In 1886 John Bixby subdivided a portion of his land just east of Alamitos Ave. into 20 blocks along Ocean Park Ave. (Ocean Blvd.) and called it Alamitos Beach. In 1905 the area was annexed by the City of Long Beach. The Naples line of street cars, built in 1903 along Ocean Blvd. transported people to downtown and back, as well as the line along the north- ern limit, called Railroad, now Broadway. During the 1900s and 1910s most of the houses were built here, including the mansions for the well-to-do from Los Angeles and Pasadena. The burgeoning film industry, located at 6th Street and Alamitos Ave., such as the Balboa Studios, provided more home buyers for the area. In 1912 the Borden heiress Elizabeth Milbank Anderson built her crafts- man mansion, now the Long Beach Museum of Art. In 1919 Bixby donated the land where the present Bluff Park exists to the city. Throughout all these years local pride in the area persisted and in 1990 at the request of local residents a his- toric district was created to further preserve the area. This has resulted in the thriving Bluff Park Neighborhood Association which educates people, offers tours and has an annual calendar of events and fundraisers keeping their community not only preserved, but beautiful, united and active.